The Duke of Andelot by Delilah Marvelle

Therese Angelique Bouchard has dreamed of becoming an actress for as long as she can remember. Finally having enough of taking care of her ever enlarging family, she takes off to Paris to make a name for herself. Meeting Gerard Antoine Tolbert along the way changes her life forever.

Gerard, the last remaining heir to the Duke of Andelot is fighting for his life and for his beliefs. During a time when the aristocracy is being murdered just for being themselves, he is trying to save as many people as he can. When he stumbles across Angelique, he sees a way to use her position in society to help his cause.

Neither imagined that through all of this, they would fall in love.  Can their love endure all that they are put through and last the test of time?

I'm sure you have been waiting to hear Madame de Maitenon's story just as long as I have. This story had a much different feel to it than the other stories in the series because it had so much history incorporated into it, so be forewarned. It did take me some time to warm up to the story because it was so different from what I am use to from Marvelle.

I did enjoy reading what had happened to Angelique that led her to England and setting up her School of Gallantry. As stated above, it did take me some time to warm up to the story.  It seems to drag along at the beginning and I really didn't like the characters too much. Angelique seemed so immature and Gerard just wasn't doing it for me. But loving Marvelle's work, I pushed on.  They did grow on me as the story progressed and I started to become invested in their story. I think it was really the ending that I wanted to get to. I knew that Marvelle would have them eventually reunite sometime after the School of Gallantry was started. The ending is what saved the book for me. I loved seeing the reunion after so many years apart.

This is the end of the series and I did really enjoy it. Marvelle's next series titled The Whipping Society. I don't know if it is for me, but I will at least read the first book in the series to find out.


You can get this book at the following retailers:

No comments:

Post a Comment