The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan

Miss Frederica "Free" Marshall is in independent woman known for her support of women's rights. She has enemies that are determined to destroy her and her business, a thriving newspaper. She will do anything to save the newspaper, even trust a stranger to help her.

Edward Clark has his own reasons for wanting to help Free, but he hadn't counted on one of them being his attraction to her.  Getting revenge against his brother was top on Edward's list, but it soon takes second place to his attraction to Free.

But to vanquish their common enemy, Edward must reveal his past. Can Free forgive him after all is said and done?

I really didn't think I read a book that I liked more than Milan's The Countess Conspiracy, but this book comes pretty close. Free has been a part of the Brothers Sinister series and has always intrigued me. Milan did not disappoint.

I will say that I've not read many books with suffragettes as the main character, so I don't know how they are normally portrayed. I thought that Milan did a nice job of not overplaying the suffragette card. We see that side of Free, but it wasn't the only dimension se see of her.  She has taken charge of her life in a time when most women weren't allowed or didn't choose to do so.  The feisty ones are always some of my favorite heroines.

Edward was definitely not your typical hero.  He stated up front to Free that he couldn't be trusted, but boy did he worm his way into my heart!!  There was just something about him that draws you to him. He couldn't be all bad when he still had two very loyal friends.

I'm so sad that this series is coming to an end. There is an additional novella to end the series which will be out in August.




No comments:

Post a Comment